Thanks to all who participated in the “Your Best Grilled Cheese Contest.” I’m excited to announce that we have a winner! The Avocado Mac and Grilled Cheese, submitted by Michaela C. of Cincinnati, Ohio, won the hearts and taste buds of our judges. Warm macaroni and cheese, made with sharp white cheddar and infused with a subtle hint of avocado, sandwiched between two think slices of crusty, buttered ciabatta bread – it’s a unique and delicious combination of two favorite comfort foods. Michaela will receive a $50 gift certificate to Williams-Sonoma to help stock her kitchen for future grilled cheese experimentation. Looking forward to seeing what she comes up with next!
The Fried Cheese Melt, submitted by Mike C. of Columbus Ohio, was a close runner-up and sure to please even the most extreme cheese lover. This easy-to-make sandwich consists of mozzarella cheese sticks and lots of gooey American cheese melted between two pieces of sourdough bread and served with a side of marinara for dipping.
Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month by trying these two amazing sandwiches for yourself. Scroll down for recipes.
WINNER: Avocado Mac & Grilled Cheese
Submitted by: Michaela C. Cincinnati, Ohio
- 8 oz elbow pasta
- 3/4 c skim milk
- 1 fully ripened avocado from Mexico, halved pitted, peeled and mashed
- 3/4 c diced sharp white cheddar cheese (about 4 oz)
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 slices Italian ciabatta bread
1. In a large sauce pot, cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat milk until hot; remove from heat, set aside. When pasta is almost cooked, combine avocado, cheese and lemon juice in blender. Gradually add hot milk and blend until smooth.
3. Drain pasta; return to sauce pot. Stir in cheese sauce. Set aside.
4. Butter two slices of ciabatta bread and grill on a panini press until warm.
5. Add pasta avocado mac to one slice of bread, top with the other slice, and press in the panini press until hot.
RUNNER UP: Fried Cheese Melt (Adapted from a Denny’s favorite)
Submitted by: Mike C. Columbus, Ohio
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tsp softened butter
- 3-4 slices of American cheese
- 3 frozen cheese sticks
- 1/3 c marinara sauce
1. Prepare cheese sticks accordingly to package directions. Set aside.
2. Heat a skillet to medium heat. Butter one slice of bread, and place in skillet. Cover bread with cheese.
3. Space cooked cheese sticks out over the slice of bread. Top with remaining cheese and second slice of bread. Cook on both sides until golden brown.
4. Serve with a side of marina sauce for dipping.