I’ve seen so many cute Easter recipes and ideas lately. Quite frankly though, all of them seemed like a lot of work so rather than baking cupcakes or trying my luck at cake pops, I decided to start with something pre made (Oreo cookies!) and focus my efforts on only the decorating. The process was a little messy but definitely saved me a few hours in the kitchen and yielded tasty results (plus quite a few broken cookies – ALL of which I ate.)
Scroll down for directions. Happy Easter!
(Oreo) Chicks on Sticks
*Inspired by these super cute chick cupcakes
- 2 12 oz bags of yellow Candy Melts (available at Michael’s or baking supply stores)
- 24 lollipop sticks
- 1 box Double Stuf Oreos
- 1/2 c mini chocolate chips
- White, yellow, orange icing
- 1 bottle yellow sanding sugar
- Twist the top off an Oreo cookie. Using one of the sticks, make an indent in the filling.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave and stir until smooth. Dip the stick into the chocolate and press into the indentation. Put the top of the cookie back on and gently press together.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Reheat the chocolate if necessary. Holding onto the stick, lower a cookie into the melted chocolate. Spoon over sides if needed to cover the cookie completely. Let remaining icing drip off.
- Sprinkle the yellow sugar over the cookie until the top and sides are covered, holding over plate or bowl and gently shake off excess sugar.
- Lay the cookie onto parchment paper to harden. Immediately push two mini chocolate chips into the chocolate, flat side up for eyes.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until all cookies are coated with chocolate and sugar. Allow chocolate to harden for 5-10 minutes.
- Using the yellow icing, pipe wings onto the side of each cookie and coat with yellow sugar. Next, pipe a triangle beak and feet onto each cookie using the orange icing. Finally, add white icing dots to each chocolate chip.
- Place cookies into small cellophane treat bags and tie with a festive ribbon, then arrange in a basket using floral foam and grass.