When stores start featuring their fall collections at the end of July, I just can’t get into it. No matter how fabulous that sweater on the cover of the pre-fall J.Crew Style Guide is, I have absolutely no interest in it when it’s 95 degrees out. But now that it’s late September, the nights are chilly, and the leaves are starting to turn, I’m all in, coveting all of the fall trends and then some.
One trend I’m particularly glad to see return (and evolve) this fall is leather. Last year most of it felt too moto/biker chick for me but I’m loving how classy and tailored the pieces are this year. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Tassel Key Chain, russell+hazel | 2. BB Dakota ‘Zane’ Leather Trim Blazer, South Moon Under | 3. Brown Vegan Leather Tee, Piperlime | 4. Double Trouble’ Knit & Faux Leather Leggings, Nordstrom | 5. Leather Skirt, Kate Spade Saturday | 6. Billie Boots, Madewell
Happy Valentine’s Day! Hope your day is filled with the people you love most (and plenty of chocolate).
I’m back with a third segment of I Love Your Style featuring Kristina. I met Kristina our first day of class in college where I immediately envied her faint southern twang and laid back attitude courtesy of her Kentucky roots. But as I’ve grown to know Kristina better over the past several years, it’s her beauty, charm and style that make her stand out as a southern belle. As soon as I began thinking about starting my blog, I knew I had to feature her.
Kristina is one of those lucky few who can pull off a variety of looks very well – glam, casual, preppy – based on the occasion. From a fur-lined coat and curls for brunch (below), a pair of ballet flats and a scarf for weekend errands, or a wide-brimmed hat and sundress for that oh-so-famous Kentucky horse race, she looks natural and well put together in any situation.
No matter what look she’s going for though, there’s one thing she’s never seen without: her llama necklace, a sentimental gift from her boyfriend.
Coat: Victoria’s Secret | Dress: Victoria’s Secret | Booties: Steve Madden (Sold out but similar here) | Necklace: Madewell | Bag: Louis Vuitton
This week, I’m loving Katie’s style. As one of my closest friends and roommate for several years after we graduated from college, Katie and I know each sometimes all too well. And while I’ve always been jealous of Katie’s size 0 figure, I’m even more envious of her ability to pull together on-trend outfits by accessorizing key staples with affordable statement pieces, such a scarves and jewelry.
Although Katie has at least two closets worth of clothes, she is undoubtedly a smart shopper. But she’s careful not to skimp on quality, especially when it comes to the staples. Her advice for finding great pieces without breaking the bank?
- Sign up for daily emails on flash sales sites such as Rue La La and Gilt.
- Visit outlet style retailers such as TJ Maxx or Nordstrom Rack as early in the day as possible. Most of these stores receive daily shipments so it’s best to get there shortly after the open for the best finds.
- Shop at the end of the season. It’s a great way to score deals on classics like a trench or a LBD that won’t go out of style.
- Take advantage of holiday sales, such as the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas. Katie scored her Frye Melissa boots, below, on sale at Macy’s the weekend after Thanksgiving.
For trendy, budget-friendly accessorizing, Katie’s favorites include Forever 21, VeryJane, the sale racks at local boutiques, and her sister’s closet.
Katie and her dog, Rudy
Top: Old Navy | Jeans: Citizens of Humanity, Nordstrom | Scarf: Old Navy (sold out but similar here | Boots: Frye, Macy’s | Watch: Michael Kors | Sunglasses: Kate Spade (old)