My boyfriend, Kyle, is finishing up some renovations to his house and asked me to help decorate. I was lusting after a silvery quatrefoil mirror from Z Gallerie; price tag = $499 (+$50 delivery and processing). While I swore there was no piece more perfect for the dining room wall than this mirror, there was just no way…
So when I ran across a similar mirror in black at Hobby Lobby for $70 on sale for 50% off, I was clearly ecstatic. A couple coats of paint and I had my dream mirror for a total investment of under $50.
Materials and instructions below.
- Quatrefoil mirror, available at Hobby Lobby (in store only) or Lowes
- Metallic paint
- Scouring pad
- Brush (I used a bristle paint brush; use a foam brush for a smoother finish)
- Razor blade (or painter’s tape; however, if your mirror has rounded corners, it may be easier to scrape any paint off with a razor blade once the paint has dried)
- Scuff surface with scouring pad.
- Prime and paint the frame according to can or bottle instructions.
- Let frame dry overnight.
- Use a razor blade to scrape any dried paint off the mirror (or remove tape).
- Voila! You’re done. Hang the mirror and enjoy.