Grilled cheese, without a doubt, is my favorite food. Imagine my excitement when my beloved sandwich gained popularity a few years ago! Now, with gourmet grilled cheese restaurants in nearly every city, food trucks, even competitive eating contests – my days of shamefully requesting a children’s menu at restaurants to get my fix are gone.
The grilled cheese craze has spurred creations such as grilled mac and cheese, a grilled cheese donut, even buffalo chicken grilled cheese. And while I might not be as adventurous in my love of grilled cheese as some, this new found popularly had inspired me to step outside my comfort zone and experiment with combinations such as apple with sharp cheddar and brie layered with fig jam. Most recently, I tried a mozzarella pesto combination that is sure to make many repeat appearances on my menu. Paired with a bowl of steaming tomato soup, it’s a grown up version of a classic that’s the perfect treat for a cozy night in.
Makes 1 sandwich
- Crusty Italian bread (I used a Ready to Bake Tuscan bread)
- 2 tbsp of pesto
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Prepared tomato soup
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. Generously butter both sides of each slide of bread and lay into skillet. Grill one side until lightly browned.
- Flip both slices over in skillet. Place cheese on one slice; spread pesto on the other. Grill until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Place slice of bread with pesto face down on sandwich.
- Remove from heat, cut into halves, and serve with tomato soup. Enjoy!