I’ve never particularly enjoyed salad unless it’s covered with cheese, creamy dressing, or other toppings that would likely make a plate of nachos a healthier choice. However, I discovered a light, healthy option last year at one of my favorite tapas restaurants that may have changed my outlook on salad altogether. I’ve attempted to re-create the salad several times since, never getting the dressing quite right until the other night when I finally tasted victory by altering a basic citronette recipe.
What I love most about this salad is that it’s literally foolproof (yay!) and is easy to put together. It can be served as as simple, elegant side dish or topped with grilled chicken strips for a main course.
- 2 c baby arugula
- 1/2 c shaved Parmesan
- 1/4 c pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp minced shallot
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Arrange a single layer of pine nuts on a cookie sheet with sides (so the nuts don’t roll off). Bakes 5-7 minutes or until lightly lightly toasted.
- To make the dressing, combine ingredients and place in a tightly capped container. Shake until ingredients are well blended.
- In a larger bowl, combine arugula, cheese, and pine nuts.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper.